Saturday, August 25, 2007

Audi R8 generates plenty of wows

Audi R8

If you are driving the Audi R8, the wow factor per hour is very high.

Ria, my associate in vehicle evaluations, stared at the silver, long-nosed coupe. It stared back at her. From her mouth came a crescendo of "wows," as in: "Wow! Wow!! Wow!!!" And in a fourth "Wow!!!!" she was gone.

I took Mary Anne with me for a spirited run into Virginia's Shenandoah Valley. From her mouth came a crescendo of "wows" as in: "Wow! Wow!! Wow!!! Wow!!!!" And there followed: "Oh! Warren! Wow! I really like this car! Wow!!"

From that moment, the R8's big price tag meant nothing to me. Its egregious thirst for premium unleaded gasoline mattered not, nor did its excessive horsepower and speed, its overall blatant impracticality. I experienced an epiphany. I understood why men love exotic automobiles. It has little to do with power and speed. It has everything to do with the anticipation, expectation and perception of performance.

It's the "wows" that such cars elicit from women, the deliciously seductive enthusiasm of those expressions. We men kill for that sort of thing. We lust in our hearts for it. We lie and cheat for it. In retrospect, it's much easier and more enjoyable to get it from the likes of the Audi R8 coupe.

No comments:

Related Articles